Vikram Masri Biography: India’s envoy to China, Vikram Misri, has been appointed as Deputy National Security Adviser. During the 20-month border standoff, he dealt with relations with Beijing.
He will take office on January 1, succeeding Pankaj Saran, the former Indian envoy to Russia and Bangladesh. He will work alongside other NSA Representatives Rajinder Khanna and Dattatreya Padsalgikar.
Vikram Masri: Age, Early Life, and Family
He was born on the 7th of November 1964 in Srinagar. He completed his early education at Scindia School, Gwalior. He holds a BA with honors in History from The Hindu College, University of Delhi. He then completed his MBA degree from XLRI, Jamshedpur. He is married to Dolly Egypt and has two children. Speaks fluently Hindi, English and Kashmiri. Also, he had a working knowledge of French.
Vikram Masri: career and work
After obtaining his MBA and before joining the government, he worked for three years in the private sector in the fields of advertising. He is a fellow of the Aspen Institute, Indian Leadership Initiative, USA.
In 1989, he joined the Indian diplomatic corps. He has served in various positions at the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi in the Office of the Prime Minister, and in various Indian missions abroad in Europe, Africa, Asia and North America.
He was also appointed Private Secretary to Prime Minister Indir Kumar Gujral in 1997.
He was appointed Private Secretary to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2012. He continued to serve in this capacity when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh succeeded Narendra Modi.
In 2014, he was appointed ambassador to Spain. In 2016, he was appointed ambassador to Myanmar.
He was appointed ambassador to China in 2019. During the skirmishes between China and India (2020-2021), he was ambassador. To discuss the tensions, he held several meetings with senior Chinese officials.
Vikram Misri: His Duties in New Delhi
– Under Secretary in the Office of the Minister of External Affairs of India (Mr IK Gujral – November 1996 – April 1997)
– Private Secretary to the Prime Minister of India (Mr. I.K. Gujral – April 1997 – March 1998)
Under-Secretary/Deputy Secretary, Pakistan Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, New Delhi (April 1998 – August 2000)
– Director of the Office of the Minister of External Affairs of India (Mr. Pranab Mukherjee – November 2006 – September 2008)
– Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office, New Delhi (March 2012 – October 2012)
– Private Secretary to the Prime Minister (Dr. Manmohan Singh – October 2012 – May 2014)
– Private Secretary to the Prime Minister (Mr. Narendra Modi – May 2014 – July 2014).
Vikram Masri: his duties abroad
He served many Indian missions abroad. His external duties include
– Third/Second Secretary at the Embassy of India in Brussels (January 1991 to September 1993)
– Second / First Secretary at the Embassy of India in Tunisia (September 1993 – October 1996)
– First Secretary/Advisor/Cd´A at the High Commission of India in Islamabad (August 2000 – September 2003)
– Political Adviser at the Embassy of India in Washington, DC (September 2003 – October 2006)
Deputy High Commissioner for India in Sri Lanka (September 2008 – September 2011)
Consul General of India in Munich (September 2011 – February 2012)
– Ambassador of India to Spain (August 2014 to August 2016)
– Indian Ambassador to Myanmar (August 2016 to December 2018)
Ambassador to China (2019 to December 2021)
Read | List of National Security Adviser of India
Adsgeni code is : 748912